We’re still in fruit mode here, but today it’s something for the beginning of your day, and with a tropical flavor…the mango smoothie.
One of the great things about living in Thailand is that mango’s are pretty much always in season. In fact, outside Bangkok there are places with so many mango trees that they simply fall to the ground and rot, as there are just too many mango’s for everyone to eat. What a shame. Still, it allows us to make awesome things, such as the mango smoothie you’re about to read about. We have these for breakfast and they are a great way to start the day, waking up your tastebuds and giving you plenty of energy and protein to face the morning. The sweetness of the mango is a perfect contrast with the acidity of the greek yogurt, which also gives you plenty of protein. And if you are avoiding dairy simply omit the greek yogurt and serve the mango smoothie by itself…we use coconut milk to make it, which also adds more depth to the flavor, and keeps the smoothie itself a vegan, dairy-free, paleo friendly (use honey in place of sugar), gluten-free treat.
- 2 cups ripe mango, peeled and sliced.
- 2 cups greek yogurt
- ⅔ cups orange juice
- ⅓ cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 drop Almond extract
- 4-5 Ice cubes
- Mint (garnish)
- Cut about ¼ cup of the ripe mangos into small dice and freeze them (will use it as garnish on top of the finished smoothie), while the rest of the mango is for the smoothie itself.
- Add greek yogurt into mixing bowl. Drop almond extract and mix well by the whipping, then let it sit in the fridge while preparing the mango.
- Add mango, orange juice, coconut milk, lime juice, caster sugar, and ice cubes into the blender and start to blend them until everything turns to liquid.
- Use the tall glass and start to place the yogurt on the bottom first, followed by blended mango, then yogurt and continue layering until the glass is full.
- Garnish with frozen mango and mint to serve.
The bright colors and flavors of the mango smoothie are a wonderful way to start the day. And even if you aren’t lounging by the beach, you’ll FEEL like you are while you’re sipping this tropical treat. I really hope you guys give this a try, because you only live once and I’d hate for you to miss out on it. As a plus, you could also serve this as an adult cocktail by adding a few ounces of rum to the mango smoothie and omitting the greek yogurt. And if THAT doesn’t make you feel the ocean breeze and hear the swaying palm trees you’ll need to actually hop on a plane and get to the beach!